"If you look into the past of a successful painter you will find square miles of canvas"
-Charles Hawthorne

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Using Acrylic Matte Medium with Pastels


'Variation #53'                        5x7                  pastel
You have to love Uart paper. Does it ever take abuse!  This variation was an idea taken from Bill Creevy's book 'The Pastel Book'.  It's a great book for pastel artists with a lot of great things to try. For this painting I started with a loose underpainting using soft pastels. Then using a palette knife I spread some acrylic matte medium over the painting. It softened and darkened the pastel and spread it around a bit. Have a look at the top photo to see how it looked after I applied the matte medium. The matte medium also acts as a fixative so once it was dry I was able to continue building pastel layers. I could have repeated the process building even more layers but I was satisfied with the outcome after one application of the matte medium. Now that was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment